June-July 2004, New Zealand and Australia

After a hectic spring, summer of 2004 started out with a 3-week trip down under. My husband Rich, had a Global Conference to attend in Brisbane, Australia. Of course I could not consent to him traveling there alone. Since I went along, we added a stop in New Zealand. Here I am in NZ enjoying a rainbow on the beach with Pat Old.



The first week of the trip was in Brisbane, Australia. While Rich focused on his conference at Griffith University, I was able to attend the Greater Brisbane Spinning Guild and enjoyed a fine Saturday with the members. The building they assemble in is a converted church building shared with weavers, felters, and basket makers. The various groups meet on different days and evenings and split the expenses. The renovated sanctuary is used as a collective store for members to buy and sell their supplies and finished goods, while the various groups meet in the fellowship hall. This room is outfitted with a kitchenette, tables, chairs and 2 or 3 large looms on the stage. Although I was just a visitor I was sent on my way with a delightful bouquet of flowers to brighten our Dorm room.

Then Rich traveled with me to New Zealand, where Pat Old, had arranged a Festival trip, 4 days of classes, and an engaging day in the middle to exchange notes with local textile tutors on the North Island. I think the photo of us standing under the rainbow, on the beach, in the Bay of Plenty says exactly how we felt.

The first day we went to Opotoki for the Fibre & Fleece Festival. This is a 3-day festival with an art show, a large market, several classes and an inspiring Fashion Show. I was delighted to watch a number of Maori women preparing and weaving with New Zealand flax and feathers.




We stayed with Pat and her husband Gordon, he farms cattle, sheep and deer while Pat teaches spinning classes.

The classes went well, both in Cambridge and Tauranga. Since it was winter and few buildings were heated, I was able to parade about my many handspun items. Although it was a spinning class the students were very interested in my mobius that was on my knitting needles.



While teaching in Tauranga we stayed with Glynis and Owen Poad, owners and creators of Majacraft Spinning Wheels. Their family operated business is situated next to a kiwi field. I became familiar with and very impressed with the Little Gem spinning wheel as I taught on it the four days. In fact, one Little Gem spinning wheel followed me home.



When the week of teaching was finished we then flew to Christchurch in the South Island for a quick bit of relaxation. Edward and Anne Field hosted us in their new townhouse and showed us around the city and even up on the mount. She has a lovely working studio and had just returned from a teaching trip to the US. I was also very please to meet my friend Margaret Stove, who lives nearby. Christchurch also has a busy Guild of Spinners and Weavers. We stopped in on Saturday during the chat-and-work as you wish session and then Anne, Margaret and I attended the Guild meeting on Wednesday night.

Before we left we took a short bus trip further south to Ashburton and stayed a night with Richard and Elizabeth Ashford. Of course we toured their spinning wheel factory and I was able to spend some time spinning on the newly upgraded Elizabeth double drive wheel. I was also excited by the improvements and ease of spinning on their wheel.



Pictured from the left: my husband Rich, Elizabeth Ashford, myself, and Richard Ashford.

I am pleased and thrilled to say that both companies are continually improving their products and today's spinners have some truly wonderful spinning wheels coming from New Zealand.