Oct. 2000, My Daughter's Wedding and the Dress

My largest project to date was the design and construction of my daughters wedding dress in 2000 and the spinning and knitting of the matching cashmere and silk shawl.




This photo is of my sister Iris Goodman, a hydro geologist, Ann, the happy bride, and me. The wedding was great fun as you can see by us kicking up our heels.


When we could not find a proper, ready-made dress to compliment the handspun shawl that I had started, I begin the design and construction of this dress. Ann's ivory dress is a two piece dress from commercial silk shantung. It is a 2 piece style with a short train.
The off the shoulder top has a lace overlay in a princess design. This is an imported lace created on sheer silk chiffon. The lace seems to float upon the silk shantung. The bodice lace is edged with a small floral lace trimmed with fresh water pearls.


The shawl was created by a variety of handspun yarns. These include handspun silks, cashmere fibers, silk/cashmere combinations and blends. The simle lace, arrowhead shaped shawl was also knit and designed by me. Tassels of yarn and seed pearls on extended fronts guaranteed it would stay on her shoulders.

When the train is bustled up, the full eight-yard skirt twirls like an old-fashioned ball gown as the young couple dance.


Four large box pleats give the a-line skirt its fullness. The short train has an overlay of lace with a sprinkling of fresh water pearls sewn on top. The hem is also edged in seed pearls.